Wednesday, November 11, 2009

DJ Kay Slay Talks Papoose Debut Album Delay, "There [Were] Creative Control Conflicts"

Written by Cyrus Langhorne
Known for helping land Papoose a $1.5 million recording contract with Jive Records in 2006, New York's DJ Kay Slay recently said record label conflicts have caused the rapper's long-awaited debut album delay.

According to Slay, fans should still anticipate the project coming in 2010.

"You're all going to hear something next year," Slay promised in an interview. "We have way more than enough songs; we just haven't found the right situation. We thought we had the right situation, but there were stupid motherf*ckas in positions that didn't know how to work with an artist like that -- so there [were] creative control conflicts, because I was like, 'We ain't doing that! This ain't why y'all brought us up here.' You see, that's what happens: When they get you, then you have some other n*ggas with some big-brained scheme, and then I'll ask a motherf*cker, 'When is the last time you been to Brooklyn? What record is Papoose most known for? Where's he performing at this week?' They don't know nothing about him, but they have all these d*ckhead ideas... And that's the reason why sh*t wasn't working." (iHipHop)

Kay Slay recently said he felt the current record label giants were catering more toward a Southern fanbase and big name artists which would bypass Pap.

"He's grindin', you know, he's just putting everything back in order," Slay said about Papoose. "He's in a different frame of mind now. We recorded a whole lot of records. Putting an album out ain't a problem, it's about putting an album out through a right situation. I think [Papoose would] rather [prefer] an independent than a major. It really don't make no sense to do a major in this time in age...Papoose would do better on an independent right now because majors are really geared towards Southern artists or high profile artists that's been known for selling records. They don't wanna gamble too much with no new artists." (XXL Mag)

Papoose previously said he would no longer blame his album delay on the record labels.

"I just been taking care of every day life," Pap explained in an interview. "I've been putting in that work, laying in the cut, making the right decisions...I'm coming with my album, The Nacirema Dream next year. I'm not sitting around like these n*ggas is doing and crying about these labels and all that. I got a master plan I'm about to put into effect next year, so n*ggas is gonna really see how it's gonna go down with my album. You like it or love it, if you f*ck with me, cop it. And to keep it real with you, the feedback I get from the haters, the people that don't like me, the only thing they say is 'Yo, the n*gga ain't dropped the album yet.' So what they gonna say when I drop it, man? So next year, the album coming. I've been working." (Hip Hop Beef)

He also confirmed his debut album was still on deck despite multiple delays earlier this fall.

"Right now my aim is bigger," Pap said in an interview. "What I got in the works right now is going to shake the ground when it drops. What I'm about to do I feel like nobody is doing right now. I really don't give too much details about it right now, but the announcement will be made real soon. I'm about to make a real power move. I'm coming for you n*ggas, so I hope you're prepared for it. The Nacirema Dream album is coming properly. The fans are going to be proud. I hear the fans complaining, they're always saying, 'Yo, when you going to drop the album?' But I appreciate you waiting for me man. The fans know I'm not an idiot and everything is strategic so that announcement is coming real soon... A lot of people go to Koch and Babygrande and all that, but they're not doing it how I'm about to do it. When I make this move they're going to respect it." (Hip Hop DX)

Check out a recent DJ Kay Slay interview below:

sohh.com

No comments: