Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Drake Defends Mainstream Criticism, Addresses Rap Roots

by Andres Vasquez



Drake has gotten a lot of criticism for his pop friendly releases but according to him, he has been a backpack rapper from the start. In a recent interview with Los Angeles Times' Pop & Hiss, the former star of Degrassi spoke on the critiques he's faced and his history with a backpack.

"I used to be a real backpack rapper. That was my thing," he said. "I even say on this album, 'I'm just trying to kick it like Ali Shaheed and Phife Dawg / Because people really hate when a backpack rapper get rich or start living that life, dog.'"

"'Find Your Love' is the first time I've ever done something for the mainstream. 'Successful ' is a Hip Hop record. 'Best I Ever Had' is a real hip-hop record. It's a sample with some gritty drums. I'm rapping on there. It's not a Pop record. Coin me as mainstream or Pop, man, I make real Hip Hop records."

He continued, saying he is upset when people make these comments.

"That's one of the things that gets under my skin: when people say I'm not 'doing it for Hip Hop,'" he added. "Or that I'm not 'as Hip Hop' as so-and-so. 'Cause there's a lot of new kids that are coming out that are dope. Everybody makes it feel like they're so much doper than me."

Drake's latest album, Thank Me Later, is out now.

hiphopdx.com

No comments: