Thursday, October 16, 2008

J-Zone Says He's Looking To Do Albums, Not Beats

Andres Tardio

J-Zone is fresh off the release of Live @ The Liqua Sto [click to read]. He's gotten critical acclaim for his humorous take on old beer commercials and some fans have wondered what J-Zone would do next. With questions swirling around a potential lyrical retirement, HipHopDX caught up with the emcee/producer to speak on production and his next moves in the game.

"Now, I'm really trying to promote this record, man. I'm not really working on too much. Like, I had done a couple of beats for people, but to be honest, I'm really not trying to do freelance beats like that, anymore. It doesn't really do anything for me at this point, to get one beat on some body's album," J-Zone noted.

He went on to explain the different types of producers and also shared some plans about his future.

"I want to produce whole albums. You have a Jake One [click to read], or a Just Blaze. Those guys are really, really good at giving you a banger. You go to them, you get a joint and that's your single and that shit is bangin'. But then you have producers like Prince Paul and Danger Mouse where they might not give you that hit, but they'll produce you an entire album with a lot of different moods and shit. There's two different kinds of producers: One you go to to get bangers and one that does concept albums. I've kind of done both over the course of my career but I'm really leaning towards doing whole albums."

"Right now, I don't know if it's going to be mine or somebody else's. But, I just want to do full concept albums. I really have no interest in doing regular boom bap Hip Hop albums or being the next super producer doing beats for everybody. I'd rather just work on full length projects. I don't know what I'm gonna do next."

Fans need not worry. According to J, he may actually release another full length solo.

"I'm looking for my next full length, you know? A concept that I could do the whole thing, and kind of show my full range as a producer."

hiphopdx.com

No comments: