Monday, June 16, 2008

Big Boi Talks New Album, Andre 3000's Return To Rap

Author: Andres Tardio (hiphopdx.com)
When fans think of Andre 3000, they always say they want him to rap again. Well, those fans/critics can rest easy because Dre is back at it on "Royal Flush" [click to listen]. Recently, Big Boi spoke on Andre's rapping and on his own new album, Sir Luscious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty.

"[We] came in the studio, actually New Year's Day. Came in the studio, his verse is maybe 190,000 bars, but I just told him to go for what he know. When people ask me, 'Why is Dre's verse so long?' Because he's bustin'! We was recording, I was like, 'Okay, cool.' As long as it's not too long to play it and it gets broadcast, I was like, 'Let's run it,' " Big told MTV.

Currently, Andre is out in Japan, finishing up some work for his clothing line. But, Big Boi is still holding things down and making his moves.

"It's more extreme," he said of his album. "All me. All the concepts. [For] Speakerboxxx/The Love Below [click to read], me and Dre kinda had to stew the pot together. This, I'm doing it all my way. Speakerboxxx was my official solo album. We packaged [our albums] together, but this one is the real-deal, standalone Sir Luscious Left Foot album."

Big also spoke on folks who underestimate his talent while bigging up Andre's. Specifically, he was asked about Andre appearing on MTV's Hottest MC lists while he was a no show.

"I don't know if it's an underestimation. I just don't really put myself out there like that. I draw enough attention to myself when I step in the room. Lyrically and as being an artist, I have nothing to prove. Me and Dre have done everything there is to do. We've won the Super Bowl of music. Hip Hop artists won "Album of the Year" at the Grammy's. After that, what can you do? All the rhymes are definitely vicious. Once people get the whole Big Boi album and put it under a microscope, they'll see."

No comments: