Thursday, October 21, 2010

Statik Selektah & Termanology Preview "1982," Reveal Work With Nas

by Paul W Arnold

The longtime p-n-c speaks about this month's dedicated collaboration album, as well as why Statik's next compilation will be more about emcees on the come-up.

Guru is tragically no longer with us, but a Brooklyn-by-way-of-Boston based emcee and deejay/producer tandem are keeping the Gang Starr tradition alive of raw rhyming atop boom bap beats with their debut effort as a duo, Statik Selektah & Termanology Are 1982.

Hot on the heels of Statik Selektah’s third critically-acclaimed compilation, 100 Proof (The Hangover), the heavily in-demand beatmaker/Showoff Records label-head and his longtime lyrical compadre/ST. Records leader are set to unleash another hard-hitting batch of beats and rhymes, this time under the billing of their birth year to symbolize the duo’s destined-to-be musical unification.

Last Thursday, (October 14th), Statik Selektah & Termanology casually chopped it up with HipHopDX about their joint LP droppin’ next Tuesday (October 26th). The friends of over a decade also revealed the details of currently in-the-works projects they each have on deck for 2011. Stat additionally broke some surprising news regarding Saigon, and even more eye-popping information about his collaboration with Nas.

HipHopDX: When are we getting a video for my personal favorite head-nodder from this 1982 album, “The Radio”?

Termanology: To tell you the truth man, there’s a sad story behind that…

Statik Selektah: [Laughs]

Termanology: That was supposed to be the first video on the joint. And, for the last five years I’ve been going to every radio station – I went to [DJ] Kay Slay, I went to Peter Rosenberg [and] Cipha Sounds, I went to Marley Marl, I went to DJ Premier, I went to Green Lantern, I went to…like everybody…Angela Yee. I went all around, and what I was gonna do was take live clips from all of those [appearances] and put ‘em together like a documentary for when I say the lines shouting ‘em out. But my stupid-ass manager Dan Green - this nigga’s mad retarded and stupid – he lost all the videos from the last five years [of] all the hard work that I put in. So that’s the problem with that video. So you’re probably never gonna see it, yo. So you can thank Dan Green for that.

Statik Selektah: [Interrupts] Nah, nah. We’re gonna do something. I have a couple concepts I gotta go over with Term.

Termanology: You can put that on HipHopDX, what I said, please.

Statik Selektah: [Laughs]

Termanology: He needs to be punished for his actions. He ripped my heart and soul out for no reason.

DX: You can still do something. You can still get L.L. Cool J to do that cameo for you [lip-synching the song’s sampled lines from “I Can’t Live Without My Radio”].

Termanology: Wooo! Remix “Mama Said Knock You Out,” let’s get it!

Statik Selektah: That shit would be hot.





see the rest of the article at:
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.12686/title.statik-selektah-termanology-preview-1982-reveal-work-with-nas

No comments: