Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sha Money XL Talks New Position At Def Jam, G-Unit

by Slava Kuperstein

Since before the time of G-Unit's meteoric rise to the top of the Hip Hop, Sha Money XL has been synonymous with the brand's name.

Now, the producer behind "Poor Lil Rich" and "This Is 50" has signed on to Def Jam to become the senior VP of A&R at the storied label. In an interview with MTV, Sha spoke on the new position, and where that leaves G-Unit.

"I've been floating around this industry since I've just been executive-producing 50 [Cent]'s albums," said Sha Money. "Freelancing, doing my own thing. I've been able to meet with L.A. Reid. We've been having some great conversations. Finally, the call came. It felt so good. Def Jam is such a strong company and strong roster. The staff is amazing. I felt it instantly. I knew that this is something I can do with my New York vision and New York swag and bring that for all the guys that's based out here. And the things that was needed to excite the industry as well, internally and externally. I connect with everybody by all levels."

XL expressed nothing but confidence, explaining, "I work good under pressure. Working with 50, I know what needs to get done. I don't feel pressure. I do the things that need to be done. As long as artists listen and we really become businessmen in this business, as we say we are, I think we should all prosper. I'm looking to make the company more money and take it to the top, the highest level."

Sha Money also broached the matter of brining G-Unit - including 50 Cent,, Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo - to Def Jam. "I spoke to Fif, to [his manager Chris] Lighty. I would love to see that there," said Sha of the matter. "Banks has an amazing record right now, independently. If things work out, then yeah, I would love to see that happen."

The producer dismissed any concerns with bringing G-Unit to a label that has a number of rappers with whom the crew has beefed, including Rick Ross, Nas, Shyne
and DJ Khaled.

Currently, Sha Money is working to get Juelz Santana's album out.

hiphopdx.com

No comments: