Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Stax Records Releases Hip Hop Sample Compilation

Author: Jake Paine

A year after a similar compilation was released by Blue Note Records, Memphis-born Stax Records is honoring the producers, breakdancers and Hip Hop audience with The Soul of Hip-Hop.

The onetime home to Sam & Dave, Booker T. & The M.G.'s and Isaac Hayes is releasing a 14 track collection, sporting the original, some out-of-print samples, used to craft such Hip Hop hits as Notorious B.I.G.'s "Who Shot Ya?," Wu-Tang Clan's "C.R.E.A.M." and The Geto Boys' "My Mind's Playin' Tricks On Me."

The release is due April 28th, in CD and digital formats.

In January, RZA spoke to HipHopDX about his influence under Isaac Hayes and the Stax sound. "When I first sampled ['As Long As I've Got You'] by The Charmels for 'C.R.E.A.M.,' he remembered the whole melody of it. He moved his fingers the way he did on the on the keyboard when he made it. It's been an honor for me to use his music and help bring it to younger generations."

The Charmels' "As Long As I've Got You" appears on The Soul of Hip-Hop.
hiphopdx.com

No comments: