Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Raekwon On Teaming W/ EMI, "They Made A Brother Smile"

Wu-Tang Clan's Raekwon recently discussed the motivation behind joining forces with his new record label, EMI, and his ability to go head-to-head with today's rap stars.Speaking on his departure from Aftermath, Rae justified his move to the renowned distribution company.

"I think EMI just recognized that I'm a veteran in the game and they recognize the value in [Only Built For Cuban Linx 2] and at the same time, they believe in me," Rae said in an interview. "They believe Rae still got the potential to stand next to these new artists and really do his thing. They recognize that I'm a legend and that I did a lot of sh*t for hip-hop. So at the end of the day they came to the table with a sweet deal that I couldn't deny as well as being real excited about working with me. They was listening to me and hearing me out and respecting that I'm really trying to own my masters right now...They felt like I deserved it though and they made a brother smile." (Hip Hop Game)

Rae recently answered the question on whether he felt his proposed deal with Dr. Dre's label, which never solidified, helped inspire Busta Rhymes' departure from Aftermath.

"Busta left after our situation was already not gonna happen," Rae said in an interview. "Busta might have felt like he was' getting the proper energy he needed to get, so really one ain't have nothing to do with two, but you never know at the end of the day, you know what I mean. I don't know, I can't call that." (XXL Mag)

He previously expressed his excitement to SOHH about joining forces with Dre around 2006.

"It is a privilege to be signed to a label such as Aftermath," the Chef said. "I am honored to be working with Dr Dre. I look forward to releasing my album, Only Built for Cuban Linx 2 in 2007, which will feature production from Dr. Dre, The RZA and other legendary producers. Get ready for the New York takeover!" (SOHH)

The rapper announced his deal with EMI late last month.

"The project is viscous right now," Raekwon said in an interview. "The album is done. I just closed my deal...I just signed with EMI...That's real news, that's real talk. I just signed off yesterday, you know what I mean. Made everything official. EMI is the home right now. They the ones that's paying me. They gave me a nice piece of what I needed...At the end of the day, it's gonna be raw hip-hop." (On-Air Idiots Show)

Only Built For Cuban Linx 2 is reportedly scheduled to hit stores Tuesday, August 11
Written by Cyrus Langhorne
sohh.com

No comments: